Frequently Asked Questions.

How long before our wedding must we sign our forms?

Your wedding Celebrant must receive a completed Notice of Intended Marriage form at least one month before the wedding. You can give it to your celebrant up to eighteen months beforehand and it still remains valid during that period. Click here to download a Notice of Intended Marriage.

Can we have our wedding sooner?

Prescribed authorities, which are usually at your Local Court or Registry officials can shorten the required period of notice if they are satisfied that the circumstances prescribed in the Regulations are met.
There are five categories of circumstances set out in the Regulations.

  • Employment–related, or other travel commitments
  • Wedding or celebration arrangements, or religious considerations
  • Medical reasons
  • Legal proceedings, and
  • Error in giving notice.

And, shortening of time is not automatic.

Prospective Marriage Visa (Fiancé Visa) Immigration Requirements.

The Department of Immigration and Border Protection will require that you visit a celebrant to complete the Notice of Intended Marriage (NOIM) and then they will require the celebrant’s comprehensive letter, informing them details your intended marriage in Australia.

Please visit the Department of Immigration and Border Protection Website for further information, or contact a Migration Agent to assist you with the complex legal issues.

What documentation do you need to see?

The Celebrant must sight each Australian party’s official Birth Certificate or Extract of Birth or, since July 2014, an Australian Passport. If either of the couple don’t have their birth certificate, they will need to apply to the Birth Deaths and Marriage Registrar in the State where they were born.

A person born overseas can supply their birth certificate, or if they do not have a birth certificate or extract, they should make every effort to obtain one from his or her country of birth.

If that is not possible, Celebrants may sight a Passport issued by the government of an overseas country, provided it shows both date and place of birth.

There are further considerations if none of these options are available.
Your drivers’ licence or other photo ID is also required.

If you have been previously married, then the celebrant needs to sight your divorce paperwork, or the death certificate of your spouse.

How many witnesses do we need?

You need to nominate two adult (over 18) persons, who have witnessed you saying the vows, and signing of official papers after the ceremony must also sign and give their full names.

Can we have a surprise wedding?

You can have a surprise wedding for your guests, but you can’t have a surprise wedding for your intended spouse.

Both of you need to be fully aware that you are getting married.

How long will the service take?

Normally between 20-30 minutes, depending on how many readings you have, how many elements you include in your service, and how long the signing photographs take.

How does the bride sign the wedding certificate?

On her wedding day, the bride needs to sign the marriage certificate and other documents with her maiden name, or her married name if she was previously married and still uses that name. All of the signatures must be the same across all documents.

Can my kids give me away?

They certainly can, if that is what you want to do.


If you choose to have music, I would recommend 3 of your favourite songs. One song for your arrival, one for the signing and one at the end of the ceremony.

Can we write our own vows?

Yes, you can as long as the required legal wording is included.

How much are your fees?

Susie’s Celebrant fees vary depending on where the ceremony is located, what level of personalisation is incorporated into your service and what day your serviceis held. Click here for costs and packages.